What to Bring With You While Hiking With Your Dog
Hiking with your pet is some of the best alone time you could enjoy. You both have lots of sights, sounds, and smells to take in and it goes without saying that your darling pet would be ecstatic.
However, before you embark on a hike with your dog, it is important to ensure that you have checked certain boxes. Some of these boxes include bringing along adequate supplies and ensuring that your pet is in tip-top shape.
So, here’s a checklist of what to bring with you while hiking with your dog:
- Collar or harness
- Canine first aid kit
- A bowl
- Microchip or ID card
If you are hiking with a big dog, they can carry some things, nothing too heavy. On the other hand, for small dogs, you do all the carrying.
Before embarking on the hike, here are some things you need to ensure:
- Physical shape; ensure that they are in top shape and ready for the rugged trails
- Ensure that all their vaccinations are up to date, you can always pay a visit to the veterinarian if you’re not certain
- Train your dog for the trails so that it’s not an entirely new experience
- Research where you would be hiking; the weather conditions, any specific occurrences that are peculiar to that area, among others
- Learn and understand how walking the trail goes, otherwise known as trail etiquette
The benefits of hiking are immense for both you and your pet. There is the baseline benefit of the physical fitness aspect. In addition, the atmosphere helps you and your pet relax and provides for an excellent adventure.
For a successful hike, be sure to check off the list here and of course, have a great time!